Whether it’s nightlife, restaurants, or excursions during the day, Oakland has a thriving community to explore during your visit. And a big part of any vacation is the shopping trips. Whatever your interests might be — clothes, plants, colorful knick-knacks or books — you’re bound to find a place to shop in Oakland. Here are some of our favorite shopping spots, full of local shops and boutiques:
If you’re looking for fashion, you’ll certainly find it in Oakland. Oakland has a diverse, colorful culture and that’s often reflected in the fashion boutiques to be found here:
- Oaklandish is a local fashion line and retail store that primarily works in t-shirt design. The mission of the local Oakland owners is to spread “local love” and create inner city jobs within the community. And the designs look fresh.
- Wild Child Boutique is perfect if you’re looking for something unique and vintage. This boutique is known for its “uncommon goods” made by local artisans.
- Lesley Evers is a local fashion designer with a retail store located in Oakland. Here you can find colorful dresses and modern women’s fashion.
For Bath & Body
Want to take it easy this vacation with some DIY spa treatment? You can find plenty of top of the line beauty products for skincare, bath, and body here:
- Urembo Asili — inspired by African beauty rituals and owned by an entrepreneur born and raised in Nairobi, Kenya, Urembo Asili offers unique, toxin free skincare products such as body nectar and calendula oil cleanser.
- Essence Beauty Supply is the place to go if you want a dramatic change to your hair. You can find fantasy colors here as well as shampoos and conditioners to keep your hair healthy.
- Sunshine Beauty Supply is located in Chinatown with a wide selection of nail polish, high end or value, for great prices.
Sometimes the shopping you do when you’re on vacation is not so much for you as it is a friend or family member who wasn’t able to join you. If you’re looking for gifts for someone special, check out some of these gift shops:
- Urban Indigo is full of jewelry, decor, and other knick knacks that are as quirky and colorful as befits Oakland.
- Bay Made is a gift shop with an inventory specifically made up of locally made gifts, so you’ll be sure to find something unique here.
Need a good ride for the airplane ride home? You can find it at any of these local bookstores.
- Bookmark Bookstore Friends is not only a local bookstore, but a friend of the Oakland Free Public Library.
- Owl and Company offers used books as well as rare books that you might not find elsewhere.
- Walden Pond Books, named after the famous Thoreau essay and experiment with independence, Walden Pond books offers rare books as well as books by local authors.
Want to shop while you’re in Oakland? Jack London Square is the perfect place for a variety of shopping and other exciting activities. Book your stay at Z Hotel in Jack London Square today to start planning your trip